Saturday 24 January 2015

[2007] Various Artists, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters Colon the Soundtrack"

It's a bit of a disaster that this CD doesn't have "In The Air Tonight" on it, as that's one of the many great gags in the film. Maybe it's part of the joke that the "best song in the world" is missing. Clearly money is a more likely reason.

ATHF isn't everyone cup of tea. I have a friend who wants to kill things when she hears Meatwad speak, and fair enough. Even if you're not a fan, but are a fan of the absurd, the movie is worth a watch.

The soundtrack collects my favourite two songs: the fake "junk food in the lobby" advert "Groovy Time for a Movie Time" followed by Mastodon singing "Cut You Up With a Linoleum Knife", a fantastic metal rant against people in cinemas who do everyone except watch the movie.


I'm also a huge fan of the of the show's theme, and that's presented here in full.

The other songs, often introduced by characters from the show, are usually hard-rock. What I'd call American pub-rock. Good times, get drunk, shout, glass a mate in the face songs.

I really like "More to Me Than Meat and Eyes" by Early Man, and not just for the punny title. It's a slighly less obnoxious, more Black Sabbathy version of Motorhead. Unearth's song is forgettable shout-metal, but demonstrates the face-glassing theme fairly well.

Andrew W.K.'s ridiculous "Party Party Party" and "I Like Your Booty (But I'm Not Gay)" are the audio equivalent of the film, and perhaps the film context is needed to enjoy them as music, but they still make me giggle.

Killer Mike's "Blam Blam" deserves a special mention as it's some seriously catchy hip-hop.

And I kind of wish I was still in a band so we could cover "Nude Love".

5/10