Tuesday 13 January 2015

[1998] Box, "The Apathy Sessions"

I discovered Box around the same time as Pre-Shrunk, having had them introduced to me by a record-store owning mate. I was able to see them live just once, out the front of Rare Records in Hughesdale. They broke up far too early, with the drummer going on to help form The Grand Silent System.

Box were a rock three piece, with a singing drummer. The bass was prominent and often played like a guitar, chunky and distorted, with occasional slapping.

"The Apathy Sessions" contains five great rock tracks, a silly track (The Thinker) and three "sound experiment" tracks that can be safely skipped. Not that "Great Men" isn't silly, with it's fun to shout chorus "Great men, having great sex... with great men!" but The Thinker is barely more than a riff...

They're a lot of fun and I still enjoy listening to the familiar songs. It's hardly world crushing greatness and I wonder if I'm only enjoying it due to nostalgia?

I can certainly complain that the vocal style is very unique at first, but carries over to every song in the same way. Not much variation, and it is grating after a while, perhaps even whiny. I have the same problem with The Grant Silent System, but they're a far more musically interesting band and that usually covers it.

5/10