Friday 11 August 2017

1994-10-15 - Where 2 Be? @ Festival Hall, Melbourne

The first gig I ever attended was a four band spectacular at Festival Hall. Attending with a couple of friends, we were there for Caligula and Hunters and Collectors. We'd never heard of The Truth and were barely concious of Baby Animals beyond some singles.

I remember going with my friend Mik, but my notes remind me another friend was there to. I'm guessing it was Emmanuel, but I'm not sure. I've completely forgotten... A lot of firsts that night. First time I remember coming to the city, first time out by myself late...

The Truth were absolutely amazing. The drum solo in Peak It blew our minds. Cow. Bell. I became a fan of the band that day, and arguably, of live music too. First gig in and I already thought seeing things live was better than the album.

Caligula were heaps of fun, but not many people in the crowd were fans. They're... odd. They used a lot of samples in an era that was frowned upon.

Baby Animals opened my mind. Suze DeMarchi rewrote my idea of what a front-person should be (at the time pretty much James Hetfield or go home). Her guitar playing was incredible and they sounded so ROCK, much harder than the album I later found on tape.

I thought I knew Hunters & Collectors but really I'd only heard a few singles and the "Cut" album. So I was a little lost through much of the gig to be honest. It was a long night too. I still had fun, and resolved to get more of their music.

No earplugs... My ears rang for a good two days after this gig, and I blame much of the tinnitus I have today on this gig.