Saturday 14 February 2015

[1996] Marilyn Manson, "Antichrist Superstar"

My wife's album, although MM has intrigued me since this album was popular. I ignored him at the Big Day Out in 1999, so my chance to see him was lost. I've got a chance to see him at Soundwave this year (if I can friggin' get there, no train? WTF?), maybe I will, although I'm likely to be watching Godsmack.

I was genuinely surprised by this album. It's very long, at 17 tracks (a lot more actually, but most are empty "hidden track filler" tracks before the final "hidden" untitled song), but stays interesting. MM's singing is dreadful, but he hides it well in these tracks. The style suits the music. I'm a big fan of The Beautiful People of course, but I also really like The Reflecting God. The rest of the album is nicely shouty with a good mix of electronic/heavy music styles and production.

It's hardly genius, but I enjoy it. I think I'll give it a few more goes in the future.

On a side note, the way he pronounces Tourniquet bugged me so I looked it up, and it's apparently normal. I'm the weird one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dBnEJqj62r8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6/10